James K. Landau is a member of our Business Litigation, Cannabis Law and Appellate Practice groups. Jim's objective in litigation matters is to handle a matter in such a way that helps maintain a client's competitive advantage in its business. Jim has over 30 years of commercial litigation experience. Jim has spent the bulk of his experience at Proskauer Rose LLP and Brown Raysman Millstein Felder & Steiner LLP. Jim has represented companies of all sizes and individuals in federal, state and local courts and tribunals, including arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association and mediations. Jim’s practice focuses on a broad range of matters, including commercial real estate litigation, commercial landlord-tenant litigation, commercial collection work, commercial arbitrations, insurance coverage litigation, bankruptcy litigation, employment disputes, partnership dissolution proceedings, and mortgage foreclosure actions. Jim also frequently counsels employers and employees in connection with the enforceability of restrictive covenants in employment agreements.
Jim has also received a peer review rating of AV®Preeminent on Martindale-Hubbell®. Jim has also been recognized as a New York Metro Super Lawyer® in the area of Business Litigation from 2012-2018, and as a Top 25 New York Super Lawyer® for Westchester County for 2018.
Click at news for items of news for Jim published on our web site.
Areas of Experience
- Representation of a global telecommunications conglomerate in an action against a television network for consulting fees
- Representation of a college in New York City in an action against a former employee to recover hundreds of thousands of dollars stolen by that employee
- Representation of a manufacturer of handbags against a famous label for non-payment of over $1,000,000 in joint venture costs and costs of goods sold
- Representation of a large New York developer in an appraisal proceeding to determine the replacement value of several iconic structures that were destroyed during the terrorist attacks of September 11
- Representation of Corporation providing back office services to the market in connection with actions brought by issuers and stockholders based on alleged violations of federal and state securities laws
- Representation of large commercial landlord in connection with numerous actual and potential lawsuits involving its commercial tenants
- Representation of major weight loss chain in connection with a RICO claim brought by a vendor
- Representation of an Examiner appointed in the bankruptcy of an iconic corporation in connection with the investigation of possible accounting irregularities
- Representation of a major New York City newspaper in connection with an action commenced against its general contractor and engineer for damages for the negligent design and construction of its printing a distribution facility
- Representation of quasi-governmental lender in connection with foreclosures of mortgages on large apartment buildings in Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx
- Representation of vendors, users and distributors of software and hardware in litigations involving failed systems as well as trademark, copyright and patent infringement and various breaches of license agreements
- Representation of major retailer in dispute with landlord over HVAC charges and building department issues
- Representation of iconic jewelry retailer in dispute with landlord over landlord’s refusal to consent to renovation of its original and best known store
- Representation of major publisher in actions commenced against authors for return of their advances for failure to deliver acceptable manuscripts
Professional & Community Involvement
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
If you think you may require the assistance of James K. Landau in any matter, email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone him (914-385-1030) with any question you may have.