Kathleen Donelli concentrates her practice in the areas of Appellate Practice, Business Litigation, Collaborative Law and Matrimonial & Family Law. In 1996, Kathleen won a landmark New York State Court of Appeals custody decision in Tropea v. Tropea, 87 N.Y.2d 727, 665 N.E.2d 145, 642 N.Y.S.2d 575 (1996). Tropea established that courts should determine if a custodial parent should be permitted to relocate with a child based on the "best interest" of the child. Kathleen frequently lectures on ethics and a variety of matrimonial and family law issues. Kathleen is also a founding member of the Association of Collaborative Lawyers of Rockland/Westchester, dedicated to resolving matrimonial and custody disputes without court intervention.
Kathleen is a Past President of the Westchester Women's Bar Association and the White Plains Bar Association. She is the Co-Chair of the Westchester Women's Bar Association's Collaborative Law Committee. She is also a Member of the Grievance Committee for the Ninth Judicial District. Kathleen has also been recognized as a New York Super Lawyer in the areas of Family Law/Collaborative/Appellate.
Join Kathleen on LinkedIn@
Click at speaking engagements for a recent partial list of some of Kathleen’s speaking engagements before various professional groups. Click at news for items of news for Kathleen published on our web site.
Areas of Experience
- Advice on and preparation of Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements;
- Preparation of all documents incident to an action for divorce, child custody (including child relocation disputes) and related matters;
- Advice and negotiations regarding prospective settlements of contested matters, including counseling the client on tax consequences of any settlement, for which the attorneys in our Taxation group are available to offer assistance.
- Separation Agreements, Stipulations of Settlement and Uncontested Default Divorces for clients at all income and asset levels.
- Litigating all aspects of Family Court Proceedings and Divorce Actions, including Orders of Protection, Paternity Disputes, Temporary Support Awards, Restraining Orders, Domestic Violence issues, Exclusive Occupancy of the Marital Residence, Maintenance, Child Support, Equitable Distribution of Marital Property and Establishing Separate Property Claims.
- Alternative Dispute Resolutions, including collaborative law, mediation, arbitration and fee dispute arbitration.
- Trials and Appeals of child custody and child relocation disputes, including Tropea, the case which established the prevailing law in New York on child relocation.
Significant Matters and Cases
Kathleen has litigated and settled many different types of cases in many different courts. Click at representative matters for a description of some of Kathleen's work. Click at client testimonials to see what our client say about our Matrimonial & Family Law attorneys.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Pace University School of Law
- Listed as New York Super Lawyer in the areas of Family Law/Collaborative/Appellate.
- Member, Grievance Committee, Ninth Judicial District
- Member, Board of Directors, Legal Services of the Hudson Valley
- Co-Chair, Matrimonial Committee, Westchester Women's Bar Association
- Director, Women's Bar Association of the State of New York (WBASNY)
- Co-Chair, Collaborative Law Committee, WBASNY
- Recipient, “Leading Matrimonial Attorney” Above The Bar Award (2010)
- Recipient, Alumni Leadership Award, Pace University School of Law (2005)
- Past President, Westchester Women's Bar Association (2003-2005)
- Past President, White Plains Bar Association (1998-2000)
- Former Director, The Westchester County Association, Inc.
- Past Vice President, YWCA of White Plains and Central Westchester
- Fellow, The American Bar Foundation
- Past President, Saint Bernard’s Center For Learning, Inc.
- Vice Chair, Board of Visitors, Pace University School of Law
- Articles Editor, Pace Law Review (1984-85)
- Member, New York Association of Collaborative Law Professionals
- Member, Association of Collaborative Lawyers of Rockland/Westchester
- Member, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Member, Hall of Fame, YWCA of White Plains and Central Westchester
Journals, Publications and Outlines
Kathleen has been published in numerous professional journals. She has written and submitted outlines for numerous Continuous Legal Education programs. Click at publications for a description of some of these written materials.
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
If you think you may require the assistance of Kathleen Donelli in any matter, email (email@example.com) or phone her (914-385-1010) with any question you may have.